Simple Exercise at Work
There are many times throughout the day when you can counteract some of the tension and strain that build up while you work. Micro breaks are very important and can be used to effectively counteract tension buildup and fatigue in muscles and eyes. The break may be momentary or last up to a minute.
Try these micro break exercises to refresh your body and improve your comfort and productivity:
- Change your focus by looking at an object that is more than twenty feet away. Look out the window or at a picture on the wall that is far away.
- Take a moment to lightly place the palms of your hands over your eyes while they are closed. Hold this position for 30 to 60 seconds. Avoid pressing your palms into your eyeballs.
Neck and Shoulders
- Shrug your shoulders up toward your ears or roll your shoulders backward and forward in circular motions.
- Turn your head slowly to one side, then to the other. Tilt your head slowly to one shoulder, then to the other.
Arms and Hands
- If you do a considerable amount of work with your hands on a keyboard, frequently stretch your fingers, hands, wrists and forearms.
- If you sit for long periods of time, take a moment to check and adjust your posture or push back into your chair’s back support to stretch.
- Stretch your leg muscles by straightening your legs and moving your ankles and feet.